Cristo Redentore Church
The Cristo Redentore – Christ the Redeemer - Church faces onto Piazza Rosa dei Venti. It was created by the architect Aldo Bernardis on land that was donated by Società Pineta in 1956. The progression of urbanisation also led to the need for a new place of worship in this area of Lignano: summer celebrations were held outdoors, on the land where the church would then be built, while during the winter premises donated by individuals were used.
The first brick of the building was laid in 1958 and the Crypt was built afterwards, which was used immediately for religious services. Completed in 1962, it was blessed by Bishop di Graz.
The interior of the church was finished in 1971 and is characterised by the accentuated slant of the gabled roof. It is almost reminiscent of the traditional fishermen huts - the casoni - and highlights the vertical tension that the high staircase bestows to the building.
Click to view the interactive map